Make your voice heard: Testify at Community Board 5’s Land Use Committee hearing Wednesday, March 8th at 6 pm. The disastrous Hochul / Vornado plan for Pennsylvania Station is sinking fast, but New York sports legend Yogi Berra reminds us that it ain’t over till it’s over.
- You cannot build a world-class train station in the basement of a run-down sports arena.
- Pennsylvania Station and Madison Square Garden don’t suffer from blight, they are the blight.
- The once world-famous Garden is not even one of the fifty-best places in America to watch sports.
Background: Madison Square Garden is owned by the Dolan family. Almost ten years ago, the New York City Council gave the family ten years to find a new home. The head of the family business threw a very public temper tantrum recently, but at the last CB5 hearing an MSG VP surprised everyone when he said the company might be willing to move.
Good News, Bad News:
- State Senator Comrie told Governor Hochul her plan is dead (see the video here).
- Senator Schumer told Governor Hochul to compromise with the neighbors.
- The Daily News agrees the Garden should move. (The New Yorker agrees, sort of).
- Streetsblog says Governor Hochul’s giveaway makes less sense than ever.
- James Dolan is using facial recognition software to ban his “enemies” from the garden.